Apply Before October 15, 2022!
Builders Code Champions are leaders in BC’s construction industry, who demonstrate a commitment to the psychological health and safety of everyone on their teams. They work to ensure that all employees can reach their full potential without fear of hazing, bullying or harassment.
To be recognized as a Builders Code Champion, organizations must demonstrate their commitment, leadership, and action towards a diverse workforce.
*When you nominate a construction employer in BC, we’ll congratulate them and send them the full application form. The application form must be completed by your nominee in order for them to be considered. Self-nominations are accepted – use the “APPLY” button above.
Nomination Criteria & Eligibility
A Builders Code Champion creates and maintains an outstanding workplace that supports the safety and protection of all employees, and is committed to advancing and retaining women and other equity-deserving groups in trades. These employers are a positive example in the industry, demonstrating policies and practices that are worth imitating. Successful nominees will demonstrate:
- Leadership: demonstrating commitment to advancing and retaining a diverse workforce.
- Being a role model in the industry: attracting the best talent, improving the quality of work, increasing productivity and innovation.
- Acting with intention: setting goals, tracking progress, reporting outcomes.
- Challenging the status quo: championing an Acceptable Worksite as the new standard in safety, protection and productivity within the industry.
- Must be a registered BC business operating in BC.
- Not currently be taking part in a campaign or serving a term in office as an elected government official.
- Satisfy each of the nomination criteria for their award category.
- Consent to the nomination and publication of his/her/their name, photo and information.
- Be available to a virtual recognition ceremony in late 2022 – date TBD
- Must be a company in good standing with WorkSafeBC.
- Award applications must be received by October 15, 2022.
1) Recruiting & Hiring Champion
You know that skilled and experienced workers are the foundation of your business and you are committed to hiring the best talent based on skills, experience, and attitude. You work hard to attract diverse candidates and look for ways to remove barriers that hold them back. You are known for your hiring practices, including compensating all employees at fair market value regardless of gender, race, religion, or ethnicity.
2) Loyalty Champion
You value your employees and hire with retention top of mind. Your managers and supervisors work hard to create a safe, positive, and productive Worksite and are invested in the development and success of all employees. You offer progressive benefits such as flexible schedule, family leave, access to child care, and other competitive advantages that keep your workers loyal.
3) Workplace Culture Champion
You are known for your respectful, safe, and inclusive workplace culture, which is the pride of your management and employee team. You ensure the health, safety, and well-being of everyone on the Worksite by recognizing that safety protection goes beyond PPE, and encouraging each employee to recognize their role in a safe and productive worksite culture. You hold your employees and sub-contractors accountable, ensuring a work environment free from harassment, hazing, and bullying.
4) Community Champion
You know that changing perceptions about working in the trades takes time, effort, and a commitment to community. That’s why you help educate others about the opportunities for women and members of other equity-deserving groups to build a rewarding career and reach their full potential in the skilled trades, and support your tradespeople to mentor others. You promote education, awareness, and training that positively impacts your community, company, and employees.
5) Initiate of the Year
You have introduced diversity policies this year and are committed to building an Acceptable Worksite. You work hard to create a construction sector that works for everyone – starting with your own company. Although you are not exactly where you want to be, you are making visible progress and want to share and celebrate your success.
6) Contractor of the Year
You are applying for this award because you couldn’t decide which other category fit you best. You are fully committed to achieving the peak definition of “Acceptable Worksite” and building a diverse workforce where all employees are able to perform at their best and reach their full potential. You attract the best talent, improve the quality of your work, increase your productivity and supercharge your ability to innovate – and you have the stories to prove it.
Hear from previous winners: